Sunday, May 26, 2013

Guilin, Part 2: Seven Star Park

May 26th, 2013
Chartres, France
Song of the Day: Titanium by David Guetta, ft. Sia
Mood: Relaxed

Seven Star Park
The best park in Guilin is the Seven Star park. 

The area is beloved by both tourists and locals, who can be found playing
cards under the osmanthus trees
Water and greenery
When I was little, I hated nature hikes and being outdoors. My parents would insist that would change as I grew older, but being a stubborn child, I vehemently protested and swore to permanently resist. It turns out that my parents actually knew what they were talking about (surprise!) and now I really enjoy a good walk in the park. This is especially true when it involves green scenery and bodies of water. The Seven Star Park had both.

 


"Say Shui!" (Chinese for water)

Ambience
There are also lots of carvings and signs around the park



 
Happy Year of the Snake!
 Plants and flowers
Cheesy? Maybe, but I still can't help by smile when I see them


 

 Camel Hill
Seven Star Park is most famous for its Camel Hill where sitting President Bill Clinton gave a speech on environmental policy.

 

Geoffrion for President 2044!
Stone animals
As featured in my Monkey Business post, the Seven Star Park hosted many monkeys. Unfortunately, all the ones I saw were immobile.

Monkey speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil

 


Can you tell which lion is male and which is female?
Hint: Check the feet!
Guns in China
Of all the things I expected inside of a beautiful park, an airsoft arena was not one of them.  
Most of the countries around the world have much stricter gun control than America. China is no exception and my guide explained that people can only use airsoft guns in designated ranges. People are not allowed to have their own weapons and must rent them. After living in inner city Detroit where gunshots are a part of daily life, I wish criminals didn't have guns and shooting was confined to small ranges.
They used "CS" heavily in their advertising. I assume it stands for the
shooting game "Counter Strike" that was popular when I was in high school
My guide says the activity is most popular in China among the 8-12 year old age range.
In the US, paintball and airsoft is most popular among high school guys  (14-17 yrs. old)
 
May you find peace in beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment