Saturday, June 8, 2013

Forbidden Palace

Right next to Tiananmen Square is the Forbidden Palace. The Forbidden Palace is where the emperor and his household lived. How far inside you could go depended on your rank in society.

They were checking everyone (including foreigners) for their ID papers near the entrance, but I channeled my inner Kung Fu Panda (enhanced by my hat) and walked straight through the line. It’s amazing how far confidence and ninja skills will take you in life.
Safe inside!
This is the emperor's throne. The emperor wrote the name of his chosen successor
and placed the parchment behind the panel where the black writing is. Some scholars
 believe that one candidate raced to the room after the emperor died and successfully
changed the names before anyone found out so that he would be made emperor
Many of the buildings are quite empty. The artifacts themselves are not that impressive because the KMT took many when they evacuated the capital and Chairman Mao ordered the rest destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. That is why people say go to Taiwan if you want to see real ancient Chinese history.

I really liked how the palace is now nestled inside the modern city. Behind the palace is Jingshan, which is an artificial hill created to improve the feng shui of the palace.

 
 
Transition of power
Chongzhen, the last emperor of the Ming dynasty fled the palace in order to hang himself at the place of this tree when the revolutionaries were about to take over.


Before hanging himself, he ordered his entire household killed
Wikipedia says he wrote the following inscription on his robes, I am insufficient in virtues and weak in conducts, hence the heavenly punishment, and the ministers also failed me. Having no dignity to face my ancestors, I would undress my crown and cover my face with hair. Mutilate my body as you wish, but do not harm a single civilian.

If those sentiments were true, it furthers the point that being a nice and kind guy does not necessarily make you an effective leader. As well, it supports the point that your friends are like an elevator: either they will bring you up or down. His own inability combined with the lack of good advice from his ministers (and a Manchu invasion that tied up his army) brought about his downfall.

One of the most amazing aspects of democracy, especially the American version, is how it allows the peaceful transition of power. For most of history, a new ruler annihilated his former rivals. Now rulers can fall out of favor, but still keep their lives. This is much better for society as people are more willing to relinquish their power, which leads to fewer wars and deaths.
Pollution
I talked to many American ex-pats while I was in Beijing and the vast majority of them couldn’t imagine staying for more than two years. They said it was a tough place to live, hard to build community in the transient ex-pat society, and overall an undesirable place to live. One of the biggest deterrents to living and/or raising a family in Beijing is the pollution. It didn’t bother me that much because I inadvertently timed it perfectly as the pollution readings were low the days I was there, perhaps due to the recent snow.
The pollution did help to create beautiful sunsets.

 
While I was in Beijing, Chinese citizens would ask me what I thought of China. Whenever I answered, "I like it," they responded with, "Really!?! I don't like it." When I've asked some Chinese friends if I've been too harsh on China on my blog, they said, "No. You have a much better opinion than I do." In so many countries, people I meet think they live in the best country ever. Not so in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment